This week was the second week of the Top 36 performances and TWO is the magic number because ONLY TWO contestants sang it really well. Here’s a quick recap:
- Jasmine Murray – Performed the “Love Song” by Sara Bareilles. For an opener, Jasmine’s performance ‘seemed’ good because of her confidence. But she didn’t ‘wow’ any of the judges, even if both Simon and Randy had “high hopes” for her.
- Matt Giraud – Went for a Coldplay song and tried to put a “soulful twist” on a rock song. The judges all said he was a favorite on Hollywood week and kinda turned them off this week.
- Jeanine Vailes – Sang “This Love” by Maroon 5 and like Matt and Jasmine, she chose the wrong song. Jeanine also overdid the arrangement, but she did received compliments about her great legs. When Ryan asked Paula if she is worthy to move on, Kara answered by saying “i don’t think so.”
- Nick Mitchell- Everyone knows this contestant because of his alterego Norman Gentle. Unfortunately for us who aren’t fans, he chose to perform as Norman and sang an over-the-top version of “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” from Dreamgirls. Simon said of Mitchell’s performance: “I hope I am speaking on behalf of America here when I say I pray you do not go through to the next round.”
- Allison Iraheta – This 16-year-old sang “Alone” by Heart and STARTED the singing competition. The performance was great and Kara says Allison has “serious chops,” while Abdul says Iraheta can “sing the telephone book.” – Simon was very impressed by the young contestant, saying, “You’re the best tonight by a clear mile.”
- Kris Allen – Singing a version of Micheal Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror,” Kris lost his “soulful voice,” says Kara. But Paula disagreed saying that Allen showed his personality and confidence. It was a decision breaker when Simon agreed with Paula and said he was “proud” of him.
- Megan Joy Corkey – Picked the right song and “did everything right,” says Paula…. but Simon said she over-sang the second part of the song and wished America would give her a second chance. Randy compares her to the smoky-jazz thing of the likes of Amy Winehouse. Kara says Megan is a “package” for having the looks, voice and if given the right song, she can be “very buyable.”
- Matt Breitzke – The welder Matt sang “If You Could Only See” by Tonic. Simon said he “really likes” him and is frustrated because he hated the song.
- Jesse Langseth – Sang “Bette Davis Eyes” by Kim Carnes. Paula said she had the star power, but Simon disagreed saying she was ‘unforgettable.”
- Kai Kalama – Held back and chose the traditional song “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted” by Jimmy Ruffin. Simon said, “it was very old fashioned, quite corny and can be heard on weddings and hotels.” Randy says Kalama’s performance was “sooo safe.”
- Mishavonna Henson– Although the 18-year-old Henson sang “Drops of Jupiter” by Train, all the judges felt it was too plain and didn’t show who she really was.
- Adam Lambert – Out from the theaters, Adam sings the Rolling Stone song “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction” and actually sang it pretty well and had his personality shown. Simon found the decision difficult – the beginning was “terrible” but the end was “brilliant” he said. Randy and Paula loved it because he is the “most current” on the show. Kara says the vocal range is “insanely” good.
I think Allison Iraheta and Adam Lambert will be the top female and male this week, but the finalist would either be the “package” Megan Joy Corkey or Nick Mitchell, since he is the “current” bet of Votefortheworst.com. What do you guys think? Who did you vote for?